Choies

Choies-The latest street fashion

9.27.2013

#5 Key Colors

Color, Color, + Color

Colorful fall? 
No. 
Now let me explain myself. 
On my way home from school last Wednesday, I took the 'longer route', meaning I got off one subway stop before my own, so I could walk through heaven, aka... just a bunch of random stores on the Upper East Side. Zara, H&M, Bloomingdale's, New York & Company, and Nine West are just a few of the stores that line Lexington Avenue between 58th and 62nd street. While looking through each of the store windows, I was so disappointed. The lack of color, the lack of vibrancy... it was just so sad. But what else could you ask for during the fall/winter season. Blacks, grays, dark blues, and whites covered each window from top to bottom. 
There was one thing that did however pop out and pull me in closer to each window. Can you say #popacola (pop of color)! Pink/purple seemed to be the accent color most used by Zara and New York & Company, but I also saw reds, light blues, and oranges in a few windows. 
Now I do want to say that this is right up my alley. I love blacks and blues being highlighted with an accent color. But for this post I wanted to be able to say, "wow the oranges and yellows! Wow all the color!". But that won't be happening. 

The first store I passed was Zara and this is what I saw...



Ummm...I am not surprised. I usually think of Zara as a very neutral colored store. As you see in the last photo, red is being used as the accent. It really pops and grabs your attention, however, the rest of the color palette is pretty bland. I do love the light brown coat in the last photo, reminds me of fall, but that is the lightest color from all the photos.

Moving on, lets look at Banana Republic!




Again, the lack of color is pretty noticeable. There are brighter blues being used and in the last photo one model is wearing a neon yellow sweater. The rest of the palette,just like Zara, is mainly neutral colors. 

Lets now take a look at New York & Company. 



Out of all the stores I looked at, New York & Company seemed to be the only one that used a wide range of pastel colors. Of course though, neutrals were still present. As you can see in the photos above, pinks, reds, and purples seemed to be the most popular accents. I would say that they definitely made it easier to transition your summer wardrobe into the fall season. The fabrics changed from light cotton shirts, to heavy knits, but the idea of 'flowing' from season to season is much more reasonable and quite beautiful. 

Finally, lets look at some H&M and Nine West!


As you can tell, H&M looks just like Zara. No color. There is not much to say about it.... but....

Nine West!!


Here's a pop! Though all the shoes in the window were black, that background definitely stands out! That hot pink! Now that gets your attention. 

So what is the trend? The lack of Color? I say so. But, I would also say that having an accent color, a color that pops, is for sure trending right now for the fall season. Keep the colors cool, but add that little bit of fire or just that little bit of warmth to your colorless outfit. 

-Madz


2 comments:

  1. I noticed this fall was looking a little too dark as well. I really had to LOOK for color in stores. I don't mind too much since I am big on wearing dark colors and black but it is nice having an option of another color as well. I wonder how bright next fall is going to be since this spring is going to lack in color as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that a lot of store windows you saw represent a lot of jewel tones. I noticed the same trend! The cobalt blue in Banana Republic and the rich grape color in Zara are really popular among retailers this fall. I personally like the dark colors for fall and winter. There is something great about dark colors contrasting with white snow. That is how I picture winter clothing.

    ReplyDelete